Episode 4: Research - Its Clinical Significance
12 July 2021
Join Vanessa Vigar, Clinical Research Program Manager at Integria Healthcare. Vanessa is a qualified naturopath and academic, with almost a decade of experience working in research, specialising in the development, design and execution of Clinical Trials.
In Part 1 of this 3 part series, Vanessa provides an overview on clinical research, and it's significance for a natural health practitioner.
- What is research, and why it is important for natural health practitioners.
- Different types of research - beyond clinical trials such as observation studies and the role they play in clinical practice eg. patient evidence for taking supplements over the longer-term
- How to assess the quality of research - starting with systematic reviews (and the limitations), as well as Vanessa's checklist to consider when reviewing research
- Critical Appraisal Tools from Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine: https://www.cebm.ox.ac.uk/resources/ebm-tools/critical-appraisal-tools
- Making Sense of Statistics https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0735109715068941?via%3Dihub
- Critically Evaluating Research Articles Part 1
- Critically Evaluating Research Articles Part 2