Power up your morning with a steaming bowl of porridge. Full of wholefood goodness, porridge is a great way to warm up your insides and keep you firing on a cold winter’s day.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 apple, finely chopped
- 12 almonds
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon sultanas or raisins
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 2-2½ cups of water
- Combine ingredients in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Stir and cook for 5-10 minutes or until oats are thick and creamy.
- Stir well during cooking to stop porridge from sticking to the pan.
- Add additional water as needed to reach desired consistency.
- Serve into bowls with your favourite toppings and milk of choice.
- Gluten free (GF) option: use GF oats, quinoa or brown rice flakes.
- Alternatively, load ingredients in the slow cooker the night before and set the timer so you greet the day with piping hot porridge. For breaky on the run, put into thermal containers or take to work as a tasty snack.
Oatmeal need not be a beige affair! Try oats with oranges, prunes, fresh ginger and cardamon for a delicious variation. Have fun and create your own signature porridge, drawing on the ingredients list below:
- Toppings: fresh fruit, chopped nuts and seeds, or add a swirl of honey or maple syrup
- Fruit: apple, banana, pear, orange, fresh or frozen berries, stewed fruit
- Dried fruit: sultanas, raisins, apricots, prunes, goji berries, cranberries
- Nuts and seeds: almonds, walnuts, pistachios, sunflower seeds, pepitas, chia seeds, coconut flakes
- Spices: cinnamon, ginger, cardamon, star anise, nutmeg