Heart-healthy eating tabbouleh
The perfect salad to brighten your summer days, tabbouleh is packed full of fresh ingredients that hail from the Mediterranean diet including herbs, vegetables, wholegrains and extra virgin olive oil. Just the thing for heart-healthy eating!
- 1 large bunch of parsley, finely chopped
- 1 small bunch of mint, finely chopped
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 3 spring onions or a small red onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Juice from 1-2 lemons
- 3 tablespoons of bulgur wheat (also known as cracked wheat, burghul) S
- alt and pepper, to taste
- Soak the bulgur wheat in boiling water for 10-20 minutes, covered.
- Drain and squeeze out excess water.
- Combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Serve and enjoy as a delicious salad or side dish with grilled meat, fish or falafels.
Tabbouleh also pairs beautifully with hommus and flat bread.
To make gluten free, use cooked quinoa in place of bulgur wheat.