Delicious when dining out, fish tacos are surprisingly simple to make at home. Packed with protein, fish is abundant in omega-3s which reduce inflammation and nourish the body and brain. This recipe also incorporates wholegrains and antioxidant-rich vegetables to make a nutritionally balanced meal that’s vibrant in colour and flavour.
600 g firm white fish fillets e.g. snapper, flathead
½ tsp ground cumin
1-2 tbsp olive oil
2 avocados, finely sliced
½ cup coriander leaves
1 cup finely shredded purple cabbage
12 flour tortillas (or white corn tortillas for gluten free)
Salt and pepper
1 Spanish (red) onion, finely diced
2 tomatoes, diced
1 chilli, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finally chopped
Juice of 1 lime
1. Removing any bones, marinate fish for 1 hour in lime juice (1-2 limes), ground cumin, salt and pepper.
2. Make salsa by chopping and combining ingredients. Set aside.
3. Prepare other vegetable and toppings of choice (see below)
4. Grill fish in a pan or on the barbecue with a little olive oil, turning gently to cook both sides. Cut fish into bite-sized chunks and keep warm.
5. Heat tortillas in a dry pan or the microwave.
6. Load tortillas with toppings – start with cabbage, add fish, avocado, salsa, coriander, and any toppings of choice.
7. Enjoy! It’s impossible to stop at just one!
When it comes to tacos, have fun and add whatever tasty ingredients take your fancy, such as black beans (for a vegan alternative), grilled corn, capsicum, spinach leaves, sour cream, and chilli sauce.