8 (actually tasty) heart-healthy foods
CAPTION: February 2021
Some of the most delicious foods are packed with heart-supporting nutrition. Add these flavoursome foods to your shopping list this week, and create appetising meals that satisfy your heart just as much as your taste buds:
- Coffee – Research suggests your morning coffee may even help reduce cardiovascular risk.
- Salmon – An excellent protein source brimming with omega-3s, all important for heart health.
- Leafy greens – Snack on spinach and leafy greens for healthy blood pressure and blood flow.
- Olive oil – A staple in the heart-protective Mediterranean diet and a good source of monounsaturated fats. Opt for ‘extra virgin’ which is unrefined and higher quality.
- Tomatoes – Eat them raw, in sauces or better still, cooked in olive oil for healthy heart and cholesterol care.
- Avocado – They not only look like a heart, they’re also good for your heart thanks to being a source of healthy fats, fibre, and the nutrients potassium and magnesium.
- Garlic – Used as a food and in complementary medicine, garlic helps reduce cardiovascular risk by supporting healthy blood pressure and cholesterol; it also thins the blood.
- Berries – Add them to your dessert plate! They are packed full of phytochemicals, plant-based derivatives known for their protective antioxidant abilities.
Will your heart love what’s on the menu tonight?